Our Location and Building: Accessibility
Here at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, we strive to be an open, welcoming, and inclusive community
of people. We know that part of that welcome means meeting the needs of the wide variety of differing physical abilities
among God's people. Here is our accessibility-related information:
- Accessible entrances to our building are:
- from the main/south parking lot, the main entrance under the portico. This entrance takes you into our South Narthex (entranceway), which provides direct access to the gymnasium/activity center section of the building and access to our Sanctuary and other parts of the building via a short ramp directly in front of you as you enter the building. An elevator, to access other floors of the building, is located at the north end of the building on the same level as the Sanctuary.
- from Church Street, the ramp entrance down to the lower level of the building (northern-most entrance from Church Street). This entrance takes you into a small foyer. Turning left before reaching the steps, you will find the elevator to take you to the upper levels of the building (including the Sanctuary), and a ramp around the steps down to the lower level.
- from Church Street, directly into Gordon Chapel, only for events in Gordon Chapel (southern-most entrance from street level).
- Areas for seating for persons who use a wheelchair can be found in multiple places around our Sanctuary.
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms can be found on the main Sanctuary level of the building at the south end, near the main entrance and gymnasium / activity center, and on the lower / dining room level of the building up the hallway from the elevator. (We apologize that for events held in Gordon Chapel, there are not wheelchair accessible restrooms without going back outside and in another entrance of the building; however, the lower level / dining room entrance is nearby.)
- Hearing-assist devices are available for worship and other events held in our sanctuary. These devices receive a signal from our sound system and provide it to a small bud-style earphone that allows you to control your volume individually. If you'd like one, just ask an usher or pick one up on one of the tables at the back of the sanctuary.
- Large Print worship orders / bulletins are available. Simply ask for one from a greeter or usher.